In the ever-changing, wide-ranging, often overwhelming, and profoundly individualized realm of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC), all stakeholders need a wealth of knowledge and a toolbox filled with resources. New Discoveries is a series highlighting resources (some new/new to you, some you may have forgotten about) that might be of interest and use. We encourage you to explore and judge for yourself which to add to your toolbox.
Resource to Explore: STAR Video Training Series
What is STAR Video Training Series?
STAR stands for: Supportive Training with Active Respect
It is an online series of training videos (created by the Communication Technology Education Center in California) for supporting individuals with complex communication needs. The video series is loosely formatted as a comic book series, and thus the videos are divided into "issues". The introduction and Issue 1 (the first 5 training videos) can be completed in about an hour. All videos are designed to be 3-6 minutes in length. At the time of this post, there are 3 "issues", with plans to add more as funding to make them is secured.
NOTE: the STAR superhero is a tortoise (as in "The Tortoise and the Hare"; AAC is a marathon, not a sprint). Some might find him annoying (juvenile) - however between him and the songs, staff will likely find it hard to forget what they learn!
Why should I consider checking it out?
- It is completely free! To everyone!
- The training videos are designed to make the complex information about AAC and supporting an AAC user easier to understand. The videos are targeted for staff/caregivers - and could also be a good overview/introduction for administrators, families, or anyone who would benefit from some basic training related to AAC.
- The videos are easily accessible, and short. Making them ideal for incorporating into staff meetings, a break/lunch training, or for new staff as they come on board (it is also a training that can accommodate staff turn-over).
- The videos provide a consistent approach for all communication partners.
- Each video includes links to related resources.
Where can I learn more?
To check it out, visit the STAR Video Library. You need to create a free account to access the videos. Also, Bonnie Mintun and Jamie Crum from CTEC presented on STAR Video Library at AAC in the Cloud 2018.
You can read other posts in our New Discoveries series by clicking HERE.